Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring in the City

Today is SPRING! Instead of focusing on the un-spring-like weather that Sam Champion gave me today [yes, thats right, you heard me. if you are reading this blog Sam, we are in a fight. I will be mad at you until you make the weather behave.], I am focusing on what spring is all about- making me happy.
"Spring is natures way of saying 'Let's party!' " ~Robin Williams

"Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night." ~Rainer Maria Rilke
I like to think of a pretty meadow- green, lush, grassy, blue skies...
I see spring in the city when I look at the trees (ok we don't have many trees outside of parks). In the winter I don't notice trees at all. In the springtime, they line so many streets with green leaves and blooming colorful flowers! It is enough to make you smile even if you can't see past the buildings to the sky. Is it blue? Are there clouds? I don't know, but we have trees!!!
Sheeps Meadow... part of Central Park with a lot of grass. This is what new york becomes on the first warm day. Everyone heads to the parks to sunbathe. Don't judge. We don't have the luxury of backyards, pools, or cars to take us to beaches. We go to the park in our bikinis, tankinis, 1 pieces, rolled up t-shirts, shorts, flip flops, whatever. We bring spray bottles, magazines, music, food... It is heaven. Hot heaven that gives my freaky pale skin some much needed color. It is my Mid-Spring Day Dream.
Farmers markets pop up everywhere, flea markets, street fairs, outdoor seating at restaurants... ah anything to get outside!
What is spring without new fashions?
Flowy dresses...
Ruffles, sleeveless, strapless, full on legs... ahhhh
Pastels.... (ok we don't honestly do pastels in ny, mostly black with some pops of color here and there. but lets just dream a bit today about my vision of spring, ok? its my dream, but imagine these dresses in black with pink-polka-dot-edging or something if you must. Don't forget the leggings).
BEER GARDEN.... "An outdoor tavern or an outdoor area adjoining a tavern where alcohol is served". Very Bohemian. Bring playing cards. Drink foreign beers. Eat weinerschnizel (sp? who knows, who cares). Enjoy the weather. Wear something cute and share a bench with some sweet little college boys... Say something like, "Hey, wanna play Uno with me?" That gets them everytime. This fulfills the springtime need to flirt shamelessly with the defenseless.

Ok, I'm just adding this picture bc so many people are out of work, and spring is the perfect time to get out there and work it. Actually I just couldn't resist the picture.
What else... I almost forgot!!! One of the most beautiful things about spring is outdoor sports! No, dont' get the wrong idea. I don't play sports. But what is better than sweaty shirtless men playing sports right in front of you? Don't answer that question... it was hypothetical. (special thanks to June Cleaver for sharing pics with us!)

"It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!" ~Mark Twain
Happy Spring sweet friends!!

4 comments:

june cleaver said...

Maria... my own little secret~

http://shirtlessgathering.com/

I have a few more-but I need an email.

Cheers!

Urban Mom said...

Here in Chicago, we are practically screaming for Spring. I've seen neighbors that I haven't seen in months. We marvel at how each other's kids have grown in the something like four months it's been since we've come out.

Yay Spring!!!!

Alexis Blake said...

That means we will soon be laying out on your new roof-top getting a tan... eh? Yes I did just invite myself :-)

Maria Grace said...

oh yes- open invite to the roof deck! I will be there all weekend every weekend when it finally warms up.