Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Got some Dignity?

Soooo, I normally dont post on blogs- I just comment, and that's the way I like it. I give my two cents and then I bow back into the shadows. But after today? I'm comin' to the light! I heard about and then looked over this website that was BY men directed towards all women regarding us ladies respecting ourselves, and owning our dignity. I felt it was absolutely pertinent to not only this website, but for women in general. Basically- I couldn't help myself, so here I am posting. Hope you're ready for it!!!!

Its called demandyourdignity and then there's a dot com that follows. I'm not gonna give you a play by play on what the sites entails, but I think the video below gives a great idea of what the site is all about. But it does speak to women in a genuine way about not giving into the whole media garbage agenda about women and their image. Which is, you are not enough or are too much of one of the below:

pretty
cute
sexy
fun
eat too much
thin
shapely
soft
act slutty
hate yourself
fabulous
tall
conservative
short
fit
eat too little
goody goody
kind
liberal
cool
short
prudish
ambitious
emotional
love yourself
nurturing
bad-ass
business-oriented
maternal
friendly
cut-throat
feminine
masculine

and the list goes on..... (did you notice that in the list that some were directly opposed? Yes, that's right, the messages tell us to be contrasting qualities at the same time! We are all super women, but NOT multiple personalities, c'mon!)

....and that you need to buy a specific product, behave in a sexual or provocative way or be different from your normal self to "be" enough. And then you will have success, men will want you, other women will wanna be you, you will feel happy, things will go your way, or your life will just be better over all. Has that happened to any of your after you wear a super low cut shirt? since you used that new face wash? after you got that $150 hair cut? or wore that new push-up bra?

Hmmmmm, not so much. But we give in to this lie, false belief, and hope that a product, service, exaggerated sex appeal, new persona, or certain attitude will not only make us more desirable and therefore happy, but fix our issues. This is a lie and even tho I try to fight it I still get sucked in sometimes and fall into the trap myself, as do many women I know. I found this website by men exhorting us to demand our dignity very refreshing, encouraging and hopeful. I hope you do too. After you watch the video- check out the actual site, and demand your dignity- from yourself and the people around you.


5 comments:

Anna Liesemeyer said...

AWESOME post. Thanks so much for that. It is so easy to get swept away with the medias perception of beauty. I am SO impressed with the demandyourdignity site. good men.

Uptown Girl said...

WHAT A VIDEO!
yowza... heading over to the website to check it out now. Thanks Lovey.

Mary T. said...

Um AMAZING video! Such truth in that video all theses girls are brought up on and have shoved in their face is that looks are everything!! Women of own it lets OWN IT and show them differently!!!!!!

Liza said...

wow. Thank you SO much for sharing this. Where/how did you find that site?? This is exactly the type of thing we LOVE and NEED to see on Own it. A site by MEN?? how awesome! Let's see how we can do more with our blog..potentially a better site? Better articles? a video? SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS..something is stirring in us I can tell..I smell a movement.

Uptown Girl said...

to do my part, I will allow an un-photoshopped picture of myself to be posted as part of the movement.