Friday, April 30, 2010

Owning my Anxieties!!

Just thought I'd share since I emailed this to a couple people today :)


This week I did something scary....I talked to the senior girls at the Highlands School---where I went from 6-12 grade! I told them my story about the break in (briefly, no need to scare them to the point of not sleeping!!!) but centered the talk more around being safe at college, etc. I think it went REALLY well though I was terrified! My sister Virginia came with me and her baby Moses so that helped. I had spoken to the girls about careers and what to major in at college about a month or two before the break in, so this was kind of like a follow up…we didn’t talk about the most important thing-safety! Being aware! Being around alcohol and parties etc! Not being in the safe haven where you trust everyone! I told them about making good friends, surrounding yourself with people you can trust, and not just trusting anyone. Anyways, things are going REALLY well, and I think I’d like to do more talks like that…hopefully I’ll be less sweaty/nervous next time ;)
photo by my cousin @ Julie Wilhite Photography

4 comments:

Liza said...

Ann that is awesome. I am so envious that you have the courage to do something like that!! I hope you DO do more stuff life this, I think young girls can learn a lot from listening to u! wink wink.

Urban Mom said...

You don't know me, but I'm a mom with two daughters and a cop for a sister. I worry about how to keep them safe even when they're older and no longer in my sight so much (ok, i can't, i know). I worry about educating them about stuff like this. I think my sister will help, but I'm grateful that there are brave ladies like you out there who share your information and experience! I have no doubt that it has stayed with them. Keep being brave!

The Artisann/Ann-tidote said...

thanks for the support, guys!

Uptown Girl said...

Wow Ann- I can't believe I missed reading this!
Ann, what lucky high school seniors. You are using your horific experience for good by giving back like that. I wish I could come sit in on your talk!

keep owning it!