Monday, November 4, 2013

The Journey of others...

After thinking about my own faith journey I started to wonder how my friends and family would describe their own faith journey. I emailed a few friends and got some awesome responses and learned things I never knew about them. The first to reply was my brother:

Faith and Catholicism have always played a role in my life. Attending private school I learned all about the faith but it was not until high school that I started to become on fire for my faith. After going on a few youth group retreats I really fell in love with being Catholic and that it was okay to think that it was cool. Even though I love my religion I was not too excited about attending Franciscan and made a deal with my parents I would only stay one year then transfer to Notre Dame. As you know, I stayed all four years and could not imagine my life without Franciscan. It was during my sophomore year at Franciscan that I was diagnosed with bone cancer and had to stay home for a year while I was sick. Although the disease was life threatening and the experience was painful and traumatizing, it was my faith that got me through it. My motto throughout my sickness was Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." This was something I truly believed, no matter what happened I knew it was all going to be okay because I had Christ on my side strengthening me to get through the cancer. Not only did I have Christ but I had the love and support from of course my family but, the community of Franciscan University. I don't think I would have found such an amazing community of people to help me get through this time in my life at any other college. After my surgery I lost my leg and was forced to learn how to walk with a prosthetic leg. This meant no more sports, but most importantly: no more rugby. But, it was my rugby team that helped me stay strong and keep the faith, they prayed for me and with me and were there for me every step of the way. Even though I had a strong faith before the cancer, my faith would be nowhere near what it is today without my experience of cancer. God is good and He only gives you challenges He knows you can handle. And I remind myself everyday that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
- Peter Bremberg

No comments: